You’ve Been In A Car Accident. Now What?
Accidents happen, which is why you are required to purchase car insurance to legally drive in Missouri and Illinois. Maybe you have filed a claim for a cracked windshield or a fender bender, but do you know what to do after a serious accident? Do you know that your actions can impact the outcome of your case?
When you contact The Floyd Law Firm in St. Louis, our attorneys will protect your rights and guide you through every step in the process. The reality is that you could still make innocent mistakes before you call simply because you are unfamiliar with the process.
Here are a few tips to follow that can help you avoid unintended consequences after any motor vehicle accident:
- Do contact an attorney: You should always consult an attorney after a car accident involving injury even if you do not know the full extent of the harm. The sooner you call, the less room there is to make mistakes that could harm your claim. With our free initial consultations and willingness to accommodate your needs, there is nothing stopping you from getting advice from our experienced lawyers.
- Don’t assume you know your coverage: Insurance policies are complicated and confusing documents. Most people don’t know exactly how much or what types of coverage they have under their policy.
- Don’t delay or avoid getting medical treatment: You might not think your injuries are serious enough or you may be worried about the potential cost of care. Do not let anything stop you from getting medical treatment and getting it right away, because delaying could harm your case. Tell your doctor about everything that doesn’t feel normal. If you are worried about the money, talk to us about how we can help make sure your care is covered.
- Don’t say you’re sorry or make a recorded statement: Your intent may be to share empathy for another person, but insurance adjusters will hear, “It was my fault.” Any statements can be twisted or taken out of context, which is why you should avoid making any recorded statements without the supervision of an attorney.
- Don’t accept a settlement offer: While your case may eventually end in settlement, don’t feel pressured to accept the first or any offer without talking to an attorney. In most cases, the offer will be for less that your claim is worth. By accepting it, you also eliminate your ability to file a lawsuit.
- Don’t rely on your health insurance to cover everything: Your health insurance might cover treatment, but there might be exclusions and limitations. The truth is that insurance coverage for injuries from a car accident can be a complicated mess of who pays for what, how much and when. It is best to have an experienced professional help you sort it out.
- Don’t take to social media: You should exercise caution or avoid using social media after an accident, because adjusters can find information online to help underpay or deny your claim. This includes more than statements about the accident itself, but also posts or pictures that could be taken out of context in terms of the severity of your injuries.
Contact Us And Protect Your Claim At No Cost To You
We offer free initial consultations. We advance all of the costs of litigation. We charge you nothing unless we recover money for you. What have you got to lose? Call us at 314-492-6958 or send us your information.